Thursday 16 February 2012

Joseph Morgan Talks Vampire Diaries

Klaus on "The Vampire Diaries" could be prime-time television's nastiest villain. How to describe him?

"Playful, manipulative, deadly, sociopathic. That's just off the top of my head," says Joseph Morgan, who plays Klaus. "I've always said he's a button pusher. He likes to see how far he can push people."

The British actor, who is 30, is coming to Orlando to push fans' buttons at MegaCon, which bills itself as "the largest comic book, anime, gaming and multimedia event in the Southeast." The convention opens Friday. Morgan will be part of a Saturday panel and attend the event Sunday. It will be just his third convention to come face to face with fans.

"I've got a little grasp of how much they love the show through Twitter and being online," Morgan says. "The thing I enjoy most is the Q-and-A. I'm self-conscious in photo shoots. I much prefer to do interviews and talk about the work. I look forward to Q-and-A and to let people into the world" of "Vampire Diaries."
"I suppose the biggest challenge is he's been alive a thousand years," Morgan says.

The actor says he's constantly learning details about Klaus' back story and incorporating them into his performance. Morgan has found humanity in the breathtakingly wicked Klaus.

"It's a natural progression," Morgan says. "He started off as two-dimensional, but thanks to good writing, there have been some strong elements of humanity. He needs to evolve. Otherwise, people will just hate him. Unless he develops more human attributes, people will find him hard to relate to."

Klaus' ancient siblings recently ganged up on him, until they all were stunned by their mother's return. She has hatched a startling plan to wipe out her offspring, which is a scary development for the actors.

"Initially, I was signed for four guest episodes at the end of season two. There was the potential to become a regular, which I am now," Morgan says.

But that's no guarantee of a long run. "With all American television, you sign a contract for a few years, but that can be revoked," Morgan says. "Aunt Jenna signed for six years, but then she only did two." (Sara Canning played the heroine's aunt, until the character was killed, always a great hazard in a supernatural drama.)

Morgan's run depends on whether producers want to continue with Klaus' storyline. Morgan's scenes with Orlando's Candice Accola, who plays Caroline, have been reason to keep him around.

"I did that scene in episode 11 where I heal her, but it's slightly a seduction," Morgan says. "I was pleased with the writing and keen to work with her. I'm a fan of her work. I think she's great. I think we've got this great chemistry, this on-screen relationship. I read she has great chemistry with everyone. So it's not just me. We have a lot of fun on set. She doesn't take herself too seriously, and neither do I."

Make no mistake, though: He's thrilled to have taken the role of Klaus. "It's been the best decision I could have made," Morgan says. "It really has put me in the public eye and given me an amazing fan base that's been so supportive. I've never been a part of American TV. Seventeen episodes [so far] and many to come, I hope."

No comments:

Post a Comment