Wednesday 15 February 2012

Vampire Diaries - David Anders 'Villainy Is Like Therapy' and Megacon

David Anders was a regular on “Alias” and “Heroes.” He played a pivotal figure on “The Vampire Diaries.” He has a role on “Once Upon a Time,” ABC’s new hit.
His specialty? Villainy.
“We all have dark sides within us, and I tap into it on a weekly basis. It’s kind of like therapy,” said Anders, 30, by phone from Los Angeles.
His juicy career lends itself to discussion at MegaCon, the fan convention that runs Friday through Sunday at the Orange County Convention Center. Anders will be there all three days. He also will be on a panel along with Joseph Morgan (Klaus) and Lauren Cohan (Rose) from 11:40 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Saturday in Room 224.
Anders estimated that he done about 10 fan conventions all over the world, the last in Germany. “Part of the cool thing about these conventions is fans get to see you as you. They expect for you to be yourself,” he said.
On “The Vampire Diaries,” Anders played John Gilbert, the biological father of heroine Elena (Nina Dobrev).
“It was something new, although I didn’t know I was going to be Nina’s father when I signed up,” Anders said. “It was a pleasant, weird surprise. It was a fun part.”
In another surprise, his character sacrificed himself so Elena could live. Bad guy John turned out to be not so bad, a recurring theme on The CW’s most popular series. His final episode was the penultimate episode last season.  
“I was in about 12 or 13 episodes of ‘Vampire Diaries.’ I was told I’d become a regular. It didn’t pan out in my favor. That happens.
“I don’t think of myself just as a TV actor. I’m an actor on stage or in a movie or busking on the promenade,” he said. “I love acting. I love getting lost in a character and portraying somebody else other than myself. If TV wants me, they can have me. I’m not exclusive.”
He also says he has a good singing voice. “I miss sharing it with people,” he said. “I haven’t been asked to audition for ‘Glee’ ever.”
Does he want to play the hero? “Absolutely. It is more fun to be the bad guy,” he said. “But I’d love to be the protagonist, the guy who doesn’t get killed off in episode 13.”

No comments:

Post a Comment